Thursday, August 25, 2011

gettin ready for school: the nook cover

Technically this is not really a back to school project,
but Mon Cheri spends a lot of time in the metro,
and we ran out of paperbacks!

It was time to embrace technology,
and go with an electronic reading device.
I guess it was the perfect present for
being one year on his new job.
I jumped on the opportunity to make
a cover for it,
it is not often that I get to sew
something for him!


I was inspired by this cover seen on Flickr,
make of wool felt and leather.



I made mine of wool that I brought back from France,
some imitation leather and quilting fabric.


I cut from the wool 2 rectangles:
10 x 15 and 10 x 5,
from the quilting fabric 1 rectangle:
10 x 11
from the imitation leather:
a square 4 x 4
and a rectangle 10 x 1.
I also used some interfacing for the quilting fabric,
and some velcro.
I used 1/2 inch seam, wool can fray pretty fast!



I sewed the pseudo leather pieces and
 the velcro on the top of the cover,
I sewed both pieces of the inside
and the other side of the velcro.

 
With right side together, I stitched around the top flap,
so just both wool layer, starting and finishing at the quilting fabric.


I then returned the flap, right side out.
I folded under 1/2 inch the bottom of the quilting fabric,
then I folded the rectangle in half, meeting the seam between
the fabric and the wool.
I sewed both side of the rectangle (short sides on the picture)


 


I did the same thing, on the wool side,
creating 2 pockets.


Then I turned right side out of the wool pocket
and slided inside the cotton pocket.


I then hand stitched the 2 pockets together.
I also top stitched the flap.
And voila a cute manly cover!


Happy sewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...