Thursday, December 30, 2010

place mats

Here is another sewing project
that was to remain hidden,
well at least until now!

To go with the coasters I showed you previously,
I also made some place mats.
They are also quite simple,
yet have a great texture and feel,
well at least to me!


As previously I used linen, flannel (as batting)
and the fabric from IKEA.
To add interest and texture,
I used a beautiful cotton print from Liberty of London,
you know how much I enjoy these fabrics!

I started a rectangle of linen
and appliqued a band of cotton print on the top,
with the raw edges turned under by ironing.


I placed the flannel underneath,
then the IKEA fabric on the top,
and stitched all around it,
leaving an opening to turn it right side out.


Then I stitched all around it
and did some quilting through all the layers.


I decided to vary the location of the band with each place mat,
making each one unique,
but still part of a set.


The back is just the cotton strip fabric,
which once again, makes it ideal for summer!


Happy sewing!



2 comments:

  1. Love the fabrics you chose. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so lovely, gorgeous fabrics - I love linen.

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...