Wednesday, March 10, 2010

quilt show 2

Humble beginning or how I did not give up



Probably more than 10 years ago, I bought a quilt kit,
I figured it would be an easy way to start,
and since I had no idea what I was doing
I got a heart within a heart,
full of triangles!
While it seemed easy, it was not a true beginner project!!
I did not know anything about 1/4 inch seam allowance!
So I used my sewing foot as a gage for the allowance.
It could have worked if there had been only squares,
but those triangles made it impossible to match any seams!


I finished it and proudly put it in my house.

And yes I was very disappointed with my performance.
I realized that the only way I was going to get better was through a class.
The saying is "when the student  is ready the teacher will appear", I was ready and I found a great teacher
at my local quilt store.
The owner Pandy became a good friend, and a great quilting inspiration.
My next quilt was just a four patch and the magical 1/4 inch seam was revealed!
Yep it was that profound of an experience!


I also learned how to "cheat" so that the seams are sort of aligned!

After that I was able to try some other simple pattern,
and be happy with the results!

This simple quilt is a pattern from "PS I love you" by L. Milligan and N. Smith.

So how about sharing your first quilt?
Post some pictures and let's remember!

Happy quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...